If you know me or anyone in my family, you'll know that we are big, fat, giant Fresh Air* fans.
When I lived in Atlanta, I'd listen to Fresh Air in the car while driving to and from class.
When I lived in New York, I'd listen to a replay of Fresh Air on my laptop while I was getting ready for work.
Now that I live in London, I make a habit of streaming the Fresh Air podcast so that I can listen while I'm tidying up our flat or walking around town.
Whether you're a lifelong fan or have never heard the show, here are my top five favorite Fresh Air interviews in no particular order:
1. Joan Rivers "I was smart enough to go through any door that opened."
2. Phyllis Diller "He got up to go to the toilet; when he came back the bed was made."
3. Jay-Z "I would run into the corner store, the bodega, and just grab a paper bag or buy juice — anything just to get a paper bag... And I'd write the words on the paper bag and stuff these ideas in my pocket until I got back."
4. Maurice Sendak "There's something I'm finding out as I'm ageing...that I am in love with the world."
5. Jimmy Fallon "I interviewed my mom. ... She was an awful guest. She kept wanting to cut to a clip. And we have no clip. She's not in a movie. She's my mother."
*If you're not familiar, Fresh Air is a
radio program on NPR where host Terry Gross interviews a variety of
people—celebrities, non-celebrities, authors, critics, etc.—about a
variety of topics. It's about an hour every day, and it's wonderful. It's also where we got all of the photos used in this post!